Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Finding Pleasure in Pain

Is it really possible to find pleasure in pain? I'm the kind of guy who likes to look for good in everything but I'll be honest with you, I have failed miserably this week. Let me take you through the last several days. Sunday night I played basketball with a group of guys. I was the second oldest person on the court. We ended up putting the old guys on one team and the youngsters on the other. We played two games of full court basketball (each game played to 30 by one's and two's). I'm proud to say that the old geezers won both games but if the rest of my teammates are anything like me, the price of victory is steep. I woke up the next morning with two sore knees and a tired body. I spent the day in Auburn at an Education Fair and immediately went to work out with Baron upon my return to Montgomery. I was off work on Tuesday and ended up cleaning house during the morning, playing half-court basketball at lunch, and mowing my yard right after we finished basketball.

Now I enjoyed many of the previously mentioned activities with a few exceptions. However, my body ached so bad Tuesday night I was miserable. Why would I run up and down a basketball court with a bunch of teenagers? Why would I do an insane number of pushups, squats, bootstrappers, striders, and situps that result in my muscles and joints screaming at me? Why would I insist on playing basketball for an hour and jumping behind my lawnmower right after that? All of this was done in an attempt to stay in shape. The pain involved in all of these activities is supposed to be overshadowed by the pleasure of having a fairly fit body for a 38 year old.

But is it really worth it? That question ran through my mind on multiple occasions Monday night and Tuesday night. My answer then was "no". However, I'm strong and I will not give up. Baron will just have to continue listening to me complain about the exercises we attempt to conquer so that I may one day experience the pleasure of being able to outplay and outrun other men my age and maybe younger while singing Carly Simon's hit "Haven't Got Time for the Pain". Thanks for the motivation Carly.

7 Comments:

At 7:40 PM, Blogger John Owens said...

Dude, come to Atlanta I won't make you work-out. No, I'm the kind of friend that would take you to eat at the Varsity. Or to the best Mexican place on the planet...Los Hermanos.

I know of other places to eat. I know of other things to do than...EXERCISE. I may be chubby, but I never have pain. Well, other than the random chest pains, numbness in my left arm and other symptoms of impending death. :) But I'm sure fun to hang out with.

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger Eric Gwin said...

You see...this is why I believe exercise is actually BAD for you.

My motto: "No pain, no pain."

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Baron said...

what a bunch of wimps! Jon, you need to move nack to Montgomery just so you can join Ryan in our workouts. I bet you'd stop puking after about a week :)

Ryan, I felt the same way but it's all worth it to me. Bring it on!

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger auburnchica said...

After being friends for SUCH a long time (ok maybe like 2-3 years) I have to say that I am highly disappointed that you have yet to learn how to spell my name. That hurts Ryan... ;)

~Hayley

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Lerra said...

I can't say that I blame you for complaining about that workout. (Sorry, Baron!) That thing is a killer. I tried the girly version of it & it made me want to never exercise again. On the other hand, if you want to be all buff & hot like my husband...well...no pain, no gain, brother.

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger Ryan Adair said...

Sorry, Haley...I mean Halee...uh, Hailee, crap!...Hayley. Just kidding. I have trouble spelling Ryan sometimes too.

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger auburnchica said...

Yeah that woman is super crazy. It makes me sick to think that she is out there trying to represent God, when all she is doing is turning people away from who God really is. And to respond to the spelling comment, all I have to say is at least I know when I have misspelled something...:) Hope you are having a good week!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home