Saturday, August 12, 2006

A Trip Down Memory Lane, Part 2

Yes, my 20 year high school reunion has come and gone. It's been so long since I have posted, it seems like my 30 year is right around the corner. The reunion went a lot better than I expected. There were a lot of people I had not seen since the 10 year reunion and others I had not seen since graduation. I desperately studied my yearbook in preparation for the event knowing that I would forget the names of many people. Friday night was a little social where everyone just stood around and talked. It was a good way to get my feet wet before the "big event" Saturday night. It was the typical reunion where you see many women who have lost weight since graduation, many who have gained weight since graduation, and all of them with different hairstyles (thank goodness since we graduated in the mid 80's). The guys pretty much fell in the same categories. Weight had been lost by some, gained by others, and the hairstyles ranged anywhere from more hair than in high school (Jimmy Deas), hair barely hanging on with bald spots trying to take over (yours truly), to no hair at all (Nover Bailey and Ernie Ferry).

Saturday night started slowly and I noticed the old high school cliques beginning to form. That was my cue to call it a night until I saw the dance floor open up. I have never been a dancer and many people will say that I'm still not a dancer. However, this was my high school reunion and I was going to enjoy it. Therefore, I stepped onto the dance floor with my friends and commenced to looking like an idiot attempting to dance. Of course, I don't think I looked any more foolish than the other 18 year old wanna-be's throwing their 38 year old bodies around trying to keep beat with the music that made me even more deaf than I already was. After letting all of my inhibitions go for a couple of hours, losing probably several pounds from sweating, and having a song dedicated to me because of the impressive way that I danced, it was time to head home. I said my goodbyes shaking hands with the guys and hugging the girls and hit the road.

Looking back on this reunion, it's so interesting how people who were too good for you back in high school all of a sudden treat you like a long lost friend. It was also interesting to see how some still consider themselves better than others. All in all, it was a good couple of nights. I had twice as much fun at my 20 year than I did at the 10 year. Maybe that means I'll have three times as much fun at my 30 year reunion in 2016. Whew...2016? Not only is that 30 years out of high school, it's also 12 years before I can retire. Now that's scary.

3 Comments:

At 1:01 AM, Blogger auburnchica said...

What I would have given to see you shakin' it on the dance floor...

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Ashley @ pure and lovely said...

wow. that is uuhhhh interesting...just kidding. seriously though ive always been curious as to what people actually act like...cause I would like togo but i dont want to be sucked into the whole omgah we were friends in hs so dont talk to them they dont talk to us CRAP. yes, I said crap. Good story!

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Ryan Adair said...

Chica, let me know what you're willing to give and you might be able to see me shake it again. I think you would have been very impressed and entertained at the same time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home