Saturday, August 19, 2006

Creative Lawncare

I want to take a poll. How many of you actually pay someone to cut your grass using those 2 ton dune buggies with the blades attached to the bottom? Can I see a raise of hands? Now don't get me wrong. I have friends who make a living through lawn care and use those impressive grass-cutting beasts. However, the one time I allowed one of those machines on my property resulted in deep tire tracks, bald spots in the grass, and a general mess of my yard. The grass had been cut but the beauty of the yard had been destroyed. I have sworn never to let that happen again...even if it means using my push mower with one arm in a sling and hobbling on a crutch as I push it with my waist. I still think the yard would look better.

I am one of those lucky boys who cut grass for money even before I could drive. I hated to cut grass and would not have made near as much money as I did if my mom had not threatened me on many occasions to go mow a yard or else. There was one sweet lady from church who was very particular about how her grass was cut. Ms. Snell wanted me to use the grass catcher (extra work) and also cut the grass differently at times. She didn't want me to cut it the same way every time resulting in permanent tire tracks in her grass. Obviously, I did not enjoy cutting Ms. Snell's grass becaue of how particular she was and the little bit of money that I made.

Let's fast forward to today. I just cut my grass yesterday (for free) and thought about this post as I was pushing my mower. Mowing your yard can be good thinkin' time. I know a lot of guys consider time on the porcelain throne to be good for accomplishing some good thinkin', but I choose not to dwell there any longer than what's required. Ms. Snell popped into my mind as I cut my grass because of what I was doing. I cut my front yard diagonally and then framed it so the places where I turned the mower would not be so noticeable. I also cut the grass in the backyard in the opposite direction than I usually cut it in order to...guess why...prevent permanent marks in the grass from mowing the same way every time. I understand that I'm an anal-retentive individual and have to have things a certain way. My clothes in my closet are sorted and hung the same way, my shoes are placed in the same spot when taken off, my CDs are in alphabetical order as are my DVDs, my four remotes are always put back on the coffee table in the same place, etc, etc. But I think I have finally gone too far. The curse of Ms. Snell has taken full effect. Just drive by and take a look at my yard. It's impressive and sad at the same time. I'm proud of it and a little scared simultaneously. I'm not even halfway through my lifetime (hopefully) and I'm afraid this condition will worsen with age. Who knows...maybe I'll find an "Anal-Retentives Anonymous" group and be cured. Only time will tell.

5 Comments:

At 8:14 PM, Blogger auburnchica said...

Haha...your "condition" has gone a bit too far. Thanks for the encouraging comment earlier. The self-confidence thing will improve in time (hopefully). And about the Zoe thing, I have no idea whether I am going or not. At this point, that is too far into my future to think of...let's face it. This Monday is too far ahead. I'm working on going day by day. Maybe with some time I will be able to plan ahead for some things. Hope you are doing well. I will be at church in the morning to work the
Health Talents International booth. Come by and see me!

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger auburnchica said...

By the way, I saw where I missed your call tonight for small group. I started to realize how much stuff I needed to get done this afternoon, and just decided that I needed to get back before it got too late. Sorry for not calling to let you know. It slipped my mind, which isn't a good excuse. Hopefully I can come next time. Hope you have a good week!

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Ashley @ pure and lovely said...

nice. nice.ocd much??

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Aleah said...

You have nothing to worry about. My dad actually uses a level and a string to make sure he trims his bushes evenly. (BTW I proudly pay someone else to cut my grass...I'd rather gnaw my foot off than do it myself. In fact, I just paid someone to trim all my hedges last week - although they didn't use a string and a level...)

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger Lerra said...

So how much do you charge? :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home